Man shouting “I Want All the White People Dead” stabs two teens and slashes fellow inmate at Rikers Island

In a shocking turn of events, the man accused of the brutal Grand Central Terminal stabbings on Christmas Day has been involved in yet another violent altercation. Steven Hutcherson, the 36-year-old suspect held on attempted murder charges, is said to have slashed a fellow inmate at Rikers Island in New York with a ceramic blade in an unprovoked attack. The incident took place at the Eric M. Taylor Center, where Hutcherson was being held.

According to reports, Hutcherson assaulted a 43-year-old man who was resting close by using a 1.5-inch ceramic blade. The victim sustained severe slash wounds on the left side of his face and head. A correction officer intervened and used pepper spray to subdue Hutcherson, allowing for the wounded inmate to receive medical attention. He was later taken to Elmhurst Hospital for further treatment.

Department of Corrections officials confirmed that Hutcherson had been searched for weapons before the attack, and none were found. An investigation is underway to determine how the weapon was obtained. Despite his history of mental health issues, Hutcherson had been cleared for placement in the general population at Rikers Island following a recent evaluation by mental health professionals.

In addition to the recent incident at Rikers Island, Hutcherson has also drawn attention for his involvement in the Grand Central Terminal stabbings. The attack took place on Christmas Day, where he allegedly made racially charged threats before stabbing two teen tourists from Paraguay while they were dining with their parents. Both girls were promptly taken to Bellevue Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Records indicate that Hutcherson has a history of at least 17 prior arrests and numerous encounters with police for emotional disturbances, as well as repeated violations of a restraining order from an ex-girlfriend who claimed he stalked her and threatened her life. Despite his history and recent violent offenses, Hutcherson was released by a Bronx judge just weeks before the Grand Central Terminal incident, as reported by The New York Post.

Prosecutors had advocated for Hutcherson’s commitment to a psychiatric facility after he randomly threatened a person on a Bronx street last month. However, Judge Matthew Grieco opted for a conditional discharge, returning the habitual offender to the streets. Less than two weeks following the hearing, Hutcherson engaged in the racially charged tirade and stabbed the two teenage tourists at Grand Central Terminal on Christmas morning.

An unnamed law enforcement source expressed frustration over the judge’s decision, suggesting that if Hutcherson had been detained, the two young tourists might have enjoyed a peaceful Christmas instead of experiencing what was termed an “attempted murderous” holiday. The suspect now faces severe charges, including attempted murder, assault, criminal possession of a weapon, and endangering the welfare of a child. Authorities are also considering hate crime charges against him, given the statements he made during the incident.


Hot News