Warning Issued by Consumer Product Agency for Small Magnetic Balls Linked to Deaths

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a warning about the potential hazards of playing with high-powered, pea-sized magnets commonly found in toys. This announcement comes on the heels of the recall of a specific set of magnetic balls by a company, as well as the acknowledgement of seven deaths linked to their ingestion.

According to the federal agency, the ingestion of these magnets has led to a staggering 2,400 hospital emergency room visits between the years 2017 and 2021, not to mention the tragic loss of seven lives. The commission also noted that two of these deaths occurred outside of the United States, underscoring the global nature of the issue.

In response to these concerning statistics, the commission has urged consumers to immediately cease using the recalled magnetic balls and to remove them from the reach of children. These magnetic balls, made from rare-earth metals, are approximately five millimeters in size.

The recall in question pertains to Zen Magnets LLC, a Colorado-based company that announced the voluntary recall of approximately 10,000 units of its set of magnetic balls due to the potential choking hazard they pose to young children. These magnets were sold under the brand names “Neoballs” and “Zen Magnets.”

In light of this development, the commission has advised consumers to contact Zen Magnets LLC for information on how to return the product and receive a full refund. The company has also pledged to assist in the retrieval of the recalled magnets in order to prevent any further harm.

As an additional safety precaution, the commission has encouraged parents and caregivers to be vigilant in monitoring children, as the ingestion of multiple magnets can cause severe internal damage. The powerful magnetic force of these balls can lead to serious health complications if more than one magnet is ingested, necessitating immediate medical attention.

In the interest of public safety, the commission has highlighted the need for increased awareness and caution when it comes to playing with these types of magnets. By taking proactive measures to remove the recalled product from circulation and educating the public about the potential dangers, the commission hopes to prevent further tragedies stemming from the ingestion of high-powered magnets.

Additionally, the commission has emphasized the importance of proper storage and supervision when it comes to toys containing small, powerful magnets. By implementing these safety measures, caregivers can help to mitigate the risk of accidental ingestion and protect the well-being of children. Overall, it is crucial for both consumers and manufacturers alike to remain vigilant and proactive in ensuring the safety of all individuals, especially young children, when it comes to products that may pose potential risks.


Hot News